Google+

Sunday 23 February 2014

Lost: Sunshine.......Reward Offered!

It feel like this has been the longest winter I have endured as an adult. Just when you think we could not possibly receive anymore snow...whooooshhh here comes another foot or so.  Last week my children only went to school two days. TWO DAYS? To think I sent them back to school because I was afraid my needing to attend therapy out of town once a week would make us fall behind.The little one also came down sick on Thursday so he did not go to school at all last week. I love having extra time with my kids but I have to admit I was really struggling this week.  It is like I hit the cold hard wall of winter weather tolerance and suddenly my mood took a complete nosedive. Every day that I looked outside at the bleak weather I felt myself spiralling back down into that awful pit of despair that we all know so well.  I also came down with a cold. I don't know if the cold brought me down or if my being so down contributed to my getting the cold.  It has been a really long time since the physical signs of my anxiety and depression have been so strong.  I actually went and pulled out my arm braces, something I have not even thought of using in months. My shaking is back to the crazy spill stuff all over myself level and the resulting pain in my joints from the arthritis has me walking around like a woman in her 90's. Its times like these that it is hard to feel like much has been accomplished in regards to recovery. I am right now no further ahead then I was this time last year. Except, now I have this lovely blog and community that reminds me of the days this past year when I did not shake, when I did not hurt, when I was almost back to me.  It fills me with a sense of comfort to know that you are all witness to my journey and to my triumphs as well as my setbacks.  Today the sun is shining brightly, the kids are frolicking in the snow, I actually put on my makeup today....and I am here typing this blog entry...all signs that things are going to get better again.  Come on Sunshine!!!!! How are you doing with the bleak skies of February? Push yourself to leave the house today if only for a few hours. Go and visit someone that you have not seen in awhile, chance are they may be feeling a bit down with the weather too.  My thoughts and prayers are with you always.

Tracy


Seasonal Affective Disorder

Weather often affects people’s moods. Sunlight breaking through clouds can lift our spirits, while a dull, rainy day may make us feel a little gloomy. While noticeable, these shifts in mood generally do not affect our ability to cope with daily life. Some people, however, are vulnerable to a type of depression that follows a seasonal pattern. For them, the shortening days of late autumn are the beginning of a type of clinical depression that can last until spring. This condition is called “Seasonal Affective Disorder,” or SAD.
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) | Canadian Mental Health Association


No comments:

Post a Comment